Monday, January 28, 2008

Running from shadows

 
KANSAS CITY, Mo. _ When will winter end? I need answers. Or at least something to take my mind off the idea that snow and ice are still around. So I went underground this weekend to look for clues. There, in the industrialized caverns of Kansas City, I found 3,250 runners in T-shirts and shorts in mid-summer form. This was the Groundhog 10K with proceeds going to a children's learning center. Although I had planned to race the more popular 5K, I slept in a bit and made it in time for the 10K. This race I ran into Jimmy, Aileen, Laura, Ashley and a host of other Kansas City running friends. After following Aileen in the first mile to a 5:56, I decided to back off a little before running even splits the last four miles. In the first race of the year, I finished 96th of the 787 runners. My time was 43:44, a little above 7 minute pace. I had to be pleased with the time this early in the year. When I emerged from the caves to a 50-degree day, I saw my shadow. What does this mean? When will Kansas City's winter end?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: