Monday, October 15, 2007

On the last leg



KANSAS CITY, Mo.
_ In just days I'll be taking part in the Wichita Marathon. This journey to again race the 26.2-mile distance started last October when I moved to the island of Oahu. There I met an amazing group of marathon maniacs. While their savage behavior and craving for up to 10 marathons a year didn't rub off immediately, I knew I wanted to race the distance once again. When I moved to Kansas City, I found more running groups with runners who had their hopes set on the marathon.

My first three marathons didn't go as I had hoped. In each I fell apart in the ladder stages of the race and my time suffered. After the 2004 Chicago Marathon, I stepped back and just ran shorter races.

For the past year, I've maintained 30-50 mile weeks. I improved my diet. I lifted more weights than I ever have. And I maintained interval training and ran the long runs.

And so the goal: to run 3:25, nearly 20 minutes faster than my PR of 3:42.

No comments: